About the role
You will be taking on a key technical operational position to support the development and success of the digital technology and delivery team. You’ll be involved in a mixture of new development and ongoing maintenance for a variety of web applications.
You’ll initially be responsible for supporting the transfer of a mature high traffic web application into Jisc from an external organisation. You will need to work with external stakeholders to support the transfer and learn the system in readiness for Jisc taking over full operation and support for the application.
Download the full job description (pdf).
To be successful, you will need to demonstrate experience of:
- Extensive experience of building medium/large-scale web applications with Django
- Building large and high traffic web applications
- Working in a development team to build and implement websites and applications, following deployment and build processes using code
- Working with relational database engines, ideally PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Working with NoSQL database engines, ideally Cassandra
- Working with a version control system, ideally Git
- Test-driven development and a commitment to TDD practices especially within small teams
- Developing and deploying production websites and web applications
You’ll need knowledge of:
- Python, Django, HTML 5, CSS, JQuery, JSON and REST
- Relational database design concepts and usage, preferably working knowledge of information systems design and implementation
- Coding, usability and accessibility standards (WCAG)
You’ll need to be able to demonstrate you have:
- The ability to think beyond single tasks and take a framework-orientated approach
- Excellent organisational skills, with ability to work to deadlines and manage own time
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to listen to and interpret requirements with technical and non-technical audiences
- The ability to respond flexibly to the development needs of the organisation
- Good technical documentation skills and ability to produce clear diagrams to document complex information systems and workflows
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to debug existing code
- A positive attitude, be self-motivated and results orientated
- The ability and willingness to update professional knowledge and commitment to continuous improvement
This role can be based in Bristol, Harwell, Manchester or London.
Jisc is a geographically-distributed organisation and travel across the UK with occasional overnight stays may be required.
No agencies please.